Cefalù is one of the most popular tourist town in Sicily, such as Taormina and Palermo.
Located on the northern coast of Sicily, 70 km far from Palermo, is setted serenely between its natural bay and the towering rocky granite mass of la Rocca.
Cefalù has one of the most beautiful stretches of beach in all of Sicily, with fine golden sand that runs the length of the beach.
The beach known as Lungomare is easy to get and is just a short walk from the town’s main road. There are numerous lidos up and down the beach that offers umbrellas and beach chairs for a fee. There are also public stretches of the beach that are free.
The small town in added to offer sandy beaches, has medieval streets with a lot of shops and excellent restaurants serving the freshest of fish.
The town dates back from the era of the Norman Kingdom of Roger II (1130 – 1194). The Cathedral was begun in 1131 and with its splendid mosaic of Christ Pantocrator is an example of a social-cultural syncretism between Western, Islamic and Byzantine cultures on the Sicily.
Recently Arab-Norman Palermo and the Cathedral Churches of Cefalù and Monreale have been inscribed on the UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
Also of interest is the Medieval wash home “lavatoio” and the Museo Mandralisca, where it is possible to admire the famous painting “The Portrait of a Man” by Antonello da Messina and the “Vase with tuna seller” a red-figure crater on black background.
On the summit of la Rocca is still visitable some remains of the ancient city: the walls of the old Saracen stronghold and the remains of a Temple of Diana (which supposedly dates back to Sicanian-Greek times).
Especially in the hot summer months La Rocca is visited by many tourists that enjoy of the spectacular view.
Cefalù is famous also because it was the film location of “Nuovo Cinema Paradiso“.
Directly south of Cefalù there is the wonderful Madonie National Park with its charming villages, such as Castelbuono, with its with its great culinary tradition.
Don’t forget the Sanctuary of Gibilmanna, on a slope of the Pizzo Sant’Angelo, a peak in the Madonie chain.